Typically, a travel must be stress-free and enjoyable since you’re spending your time and money to have a great time. But nothing is perfect!
Everyone hates that feeling when you check your pocket or bag and your wallet isn’t there. Especially losing your ID, data, cards and cash in an unfamiliar place would be one of the most difficult situation for anyone.
But whether you left your wallet somewhere or got it stolen, don’t panic and do what you should do to in order to get it back if you have a luck and prevent further problems.
Also remember that the very first step is to make sure it’s not lost. Check everyplace (pockets, bag, table or other places you might put it on) possible where your wallet might be in. But once it’s definitely lost, don’t worry. These tips will help you!
1. Immediately cancel your credit and debit cards
If your debit, credit or visa card falls into the wrong hands, there’s a high chance of losing your money. Nowadays selling someone’s financial information is a widespread crime on darkweb and in some cases it’s even impossible to find out who’s selling your info or making changes in your account.
Don’t lose time and act before the thief acts! The best way to avoid misuse of your data is contacting your bank and deactivating your cards. The bank knows you will need a new card, so you will have just few days to get it. The earlier, the better!
2. File a police report
Go to the nearest police station and file a report. However this can’t guarantee that your card will be found, there’s a chance of police contacting you later, in case the lost item is found, by some luck.
3. Visit the local embassy or consulate
If you lost your most important data or if it caused a bigger problem, head to The Embassy or Consulate of your country in where you are travelling. For example, without a passport it’s impossible to pass the custom of any country. In this kind of serious condition, your Embassy will work for you.
4. Reschedule the travel
To replace your documents you will need some time, but this step is optional for some travellers. Before boarding a flight, contact a personnel of the airport and ask to reschedule the flight. You better meet them in person solve the problem at that moment, because it’s much better than asking for a free ticket on phone.
5. Ask your family or friends for money
If you have no money, ask help from your family member, friend or other other close people. Receive money via an online transferring service which would be the easiest way for you. If you lost your visa card, get the cash transferred to the account of your trusted travel friend.
In case there’s nobody to send you money or no money to send you, ask help from your Council.
6. Be careful in the future
Try to be always prepared for the sudden circumstances. These few tips might help you to prevent losing your wallet.
- Take scans or copy of your paramount documents such as ID card, passport, hotel reservation paper, flight ticket etc.
- Organise your essentials wisely. Don’t put too much things in it. Also a well organised, safe travel wallets will reduce the risk dramatically. Wallets with RFID blocking system, uncuttable waterproof material, neck or hand pouch are highly recommended for a safe travel.
- Never keep all of your travel essential at one place. For example, if you have more than one cards like a credit card and a debit card, keep one in your wallet and another one in your safe jacket pocket. In case you lose your wallet, you will have at least your debit card to use.
- Never trust your back pockets. Almost all men keep their wallet in back pockets of their pants and nobody knows why. It’s a great chance for pick-pocketeers to take your wallet quickly with making you feel nothing. So front pockets are highly recommended.
- Have an online credit card number. It’s a great way to avoid losing your account data. There’s no need to carry your credit card and with just few codes, you can make an online purchase.
- Pay attention to places where you keep your wallet. But don’t always check it in public, because it might catch attention of pickpocketeers or thieves. Always remember where you put your wallet after put it out when you’re in a hotel, shopping centres or buying something.
- The more famous the tourist attracion is, more chance of pickpockeeters in that area. Be extra careful when you are among the crowds. It’s easy for the thief to escape and get lost in the crowds.